The site of Escuelas Pías de San Fernando Spain is rich with history. The original school was erected in the 17th century in Lavapiés neighborhood — the first school in Madrid. Founded by the Order of the Scolopi, it was intended to simply provide adequate education to poor and abandoned children but became world-renowned for its successful educational techniques.
The only original architecture still standing is a part of the school chapel built between 1763 and 1791 by Brother Gabriel Escribano. The rest of the structure was destroyed in 1936 during the Spanish Civil War. The semi-ruined southwestern section of the building served as the Lavapiés Cinema between 1950 and 1974 and was turned into the Lavapiés Theatre in 1979. In 1985 the theatre became the city’s cultural centre.
HOWE guaranteeS a long-lasting and environmental solution performing strong on function and aesthetics